Creativity and Collaboration
Stories are a natural way to communicate.
Our languages supply images and a narrative process.
Metaphors bring structure and discipline to group work.
Symbols provide a vocabulary of meaning.
Facilitation is simple and efficient.
Metaphor Mapping was the Research Center’s first project and remains its core offering. It was first used in the 1980’s and has been continuously extended since. Businesses, governments and international agencies apply it in cross-cultural contexts to visioning, strategy planning and operations optimization.
Click the icon below to view its extensive features, applications and services.
Political Zingers!, published in 2015, is a political cartoon-based card game for people who follow the news. It creates a humor-filled environment where players show their beliefs about politicians’ character and motivation.
Click the icon for more information.
Pathfinder / Next Horizon is our most recent research project. It employs metaphoric techniques to help individuals leaving jail or prison to define a future life and build a strategy to achieve it.
To follow project progress, click either of the icons below to go to RiverLeadership.org
When Pathfinder / Next Horizon is fully tested and in common use, we expect to adapt it to the needs of therapists and patients through digital technology.
Research and Development Services
1. Identify and analyze the metaphors driving an organization’s culture and communications
- What are the overtly employed or implied metaphors at the root of the organization’s culture?
- How, when and where are visible and verbal symbols used?
- What is the resulting impact on performance of groups and the entire organization?
- Identification of alternative metaphors for enhanced effectiveness
- Change management plan
Note: This type of research study may be a useful addition to an ethnographic study. Metaphor Mapping workshops themselves may also be tailored to be a central part of an extremely fast-track ethnographic study.
2. Custom design and build metaphoric languages and games for culture change
Research, develop, test and deliver a metaphor concept and related symbols to meet client communication, cultural and performance objectives.